- 3 acorn squash
- 2 tbsp butter
- pulp from all of the squash
- 2 tbsp onion, diced
- 1 tbsp carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp celery, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1-2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tops off and cut just a bit off the bottom so they will sit evenly.
- Roast squash in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes remove and let cool.
- When squash is cool, using a spoon scoop out the insides of the squash being careful not to rip skin or get too deep. Remove the seeds from the pulp.
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter.
- Add squash pulp, onions, celery, carrots.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until vegetables just start to brown.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add water and chicken base and stir to completely combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cream and stir to completely combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture in batches in a blender and pulse just a few times.
(Remember that heat expands. Hold down tightly on blender top if you do not want a mess…you can also use a hand blender)
- Return mixture to skillet and add jalapenos and stir.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter and add 1 tbsp. flour and mix well and pour into soup mixture and bring back to a boil to thicken.
- At this point you can either pour soup into your favorite terrine or if you want to serve it in the shells simply fill the shells with the soup, sprinkle with a little Parmigiana and place under broiler until browned.