There is something just plain good about a good meat loaf. In all of its forms, whether has a main dish, or a great meat loaf sandwich, or a meat loaf stew (yeah, that really exists) meat loaf is just good. There are so many recipes and so many variations to this dish that you could never eat them all, and believe me I have tried. This particular recipe is made with salsa and black beans and it is pretty tasty and a great way to switch up your traditional meat loaf with a little extra something. Just be prepared for no meat loaf sandwiches, because there is a good chance there will not be any leftovers.
Rio Grande Valley Meat Loaf
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion diced small
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced small
- 2 stalks celery diced small
- 2 slices bread diced very small
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can black beans well-drained
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except for black beans. Mix together very well until mixture is completely incorporated. Add black beans and gently mix in making sure not to break up beans. Spray a baking pan with non-stick spray and place meat mixture in pan. Using your hands, form loaf (yeah, I do not use a loaf pan). When loaf is formed wet your hands with water and rub loaf to close seams or cracks. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting.