- 2-3 chicken breasts trimmed depending on size
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 10 oz sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp chicken base
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced small
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced small
- 1/2 yellow onion diced small
- 16 oz mixed shredded cheese
- Place oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, place corn tortillas in one at a time and fry for just a few seconds on each side until soft, then drain and cool.
- Place chicken breast in a sauce pan and cover with water, add liquid smoke and bring to a boil. When chicken is cooked, remove and let cool, then shred. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix sour cream with buttermilk until completely smooth.
- In a blender place diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, minced garlic and chicken base. Blend well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together the diced onion and peppers.
To assemble casserole
- In a 9x9 baking pan place 4 of the tortillas to cover bottom of pan.
- Add 1/3 of the shredded chicken.
- Spoon in 1/3 of sour cream sauce over chicken.
- Add 1/3 of tomato sauce spooned in over sour cream.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of onion and pepper mixture and then top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat this twice more to make three layers.
- Cover tightly and bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Serves 4-6